Thursday, May 2, 2013

Trial : ROT IN HELL!

Pictured with the girlfriend who dumped him hours before April was abducted: Mark Bridger 'watched child porn then snatched girl' as prosecutors say it's a billion-to-one chance DNA found at his home is not hers

Mark Bridger sent desperate messages to a former girlfriend after she broke up with him by text hours before he allegedly abducted and killed April Jones, his murder trial heard yesterday.
The ex-slaughterman, 47, told Vicky Fenner, 25: ‘You were my life. My everything.’ Then he begged: ‘Nothing left at all worth fighting for?’
After hearing she had told other people they had split up, he wrote: ‘I couldn’t have meant **** all to you’ and logged on to his computer to look at child pornography and message other women in the area on Facebook, asking them to meet up with him for ‘no strings’ encounters.
Miss Fenner, who lives yards from where April was snatched on the Bryn-y-Gog estate in Machynlleth, mid-Wales, received another message from Bridger the next day saying he ‘just heard the news’ that April had gone missing.

'You were my life': Bridger exchanged text messages with Vicky Fenner on the morning that April Jones went missing

It was one of a series sent by Bridger after the five-year-old disappeared, including some exchanged with Elaine Dafydd, the mother of two of his  children, who told him police were ‘looking for a light colour van or Land Rover’.


From Vicky Fenner to Mark Bridger, 7.38am, October 1, 2012:
Couldn’t leave it without saying goodbye. You were my love. Just can’t do it. Maybe see you around, OK.
MB to VF: You were my life, babe. My everything. For what it’s worth I’m still in love with you. 
VF to MB (7.52am): I do love you, just can’t do it sorry. I don’t want anything from the house, OK. 
MB to VF: So there’s nothing left at all worth fighting for?
VF to MB: I said what I needed to say. Goodbye. This time find the right woman for you. See you around. I’ll miss you. Take care, babe. Love Vicky. 
MB to VF: Goodbye. Look after yourself and be careful. You don’t have to change your number. I won’t be hassling you. 
Later, at 12.59pm:
MB to VF: Where are you? Well, didn’t take you very long to tell everyone and move on. 
VF to MB: No point lying to ppl(sic). Why? Who you seen then?
MB to VF: I couldn’t have meant **** all to you. Never mind. 
After news broke of April’s disappearance:
MB to VF: I’ve just heard the news. Is everything OK with you? 
VF to MB: Mine [her children] are OK. Back out now though not slept. 
Bridger also exchanged messages with Elaine Dafydd, the mother of two of his children, in which she told him police were ‘looking for a light colour van or Land Rover’. 
MB to ED: OK, right. I’m out.
Facebook messages to other women in the afternoon:
MB to female friend: Hadn’t realised you were single, as I am. Do you fancy a drink or a club or even a meal? See how you feel. 
MB to another woman: Do you fancy a drink and a chat some time? No strings, OK. 
MB to a third woman: Hi. Would you like to go out for a meal or a drink? 
He also exchanged text messages with a female friend called Lesly Grimwood, who asked if he had picked up his benefits.
MB to LG: Yes. I got a bottle of wine and a box of cider. Good benefits. 
Before midnight, after April’s abduction:
LG to MB: Goodnight hon, hope you’re okay. Sweet dreams. 
MB to LG: Good night, yes, benefits sorted I hope.
Bridger responded: ‘OK, right.  I’m out.’
Discussing a text message sent on the night April was taken, prosecutor Miss Elwen Evans QC asked the jury: ‘Was that before or after April had died? 
'Before or after her blood was deposited around the house? Before or after the body was disposed of?’
Bridger had earlier apologised to the five-year-old’s parents after giving police a dramatic account of how he claims she died.
He told police he accidentally ‘crushed her with my car’ – then drove around with her ‘dead or dying’ beside him in the passenger seat. 
He said he tried to revive her but explained: ‘There was no life in her, no pulse, no breathing, no response in her eyes. I put my hand on her chest and there was a sigh. I thought I’d got her.’ 
He claimed he lost all recollection of what happened to her afterwards and denied murdering or sexually assaulting her.
But forensic officers who searched his house found traces of blood which gave a billion to one match with April’s DNA.
Prosecutors say he made up a ‘story’ that he had killed her in a car accident in a bid to ‘explain away’ his role in the killing.
In his final comments to police, Bridger said he wanted to apologise to April’s parents.
‘All I want to say to Paul and Coral is that I’m sorry for what happened and that if in my heart of hearts I knew where she was I would tell them because, one, I could help them lay her to rest. 
‘Two, it would assist me with these distasteful accusations I’ve been accused of. 
‘And, three, my children could say, OK I’ve killed a young child and I did things wrong, but they would not be victimised because I’m their dad.’ 
April’s parents sat motionless in Mold Crown Court as the former slaughterhouse worker’s version of events last October was read from a series of statements he made to police.
April, who had mild cerebral palsy, went missing in Machynlleth, mid-Wales, on October 1 and Bridger was arrested on October 2.
Prosecutor Elwen Evans, QC, said Bridger initially told police: ‘I know what this about.’ 
He went on to give the arresting officers his account of what happened.
He said: ‘It was an accident. I crushed her with the car. I don’t know where she is. 
'As I was going to drive away two girls on bikes came across me.
‘I then got out and saw a little girl lying under my car. I picked her up and put her in my car, which is left-hand drive, and put her on the  front seat.’
Miss Evans told the jury that Bridger carried on telling police officers his story as he was being driven to Aberystwyth Police Station.
He said: ‘I didn’t abduct her. I did my best to revive her.

‘I panicked. The more I drove through the night, the more pissed I got. My son and daughter play at her house. I didn’t even know until this morning until I saw it on TV.’
He continued: ‘I need to say sorry to her family. I can’t believe I  didn’t just call an ambulance or  the police.
‘My intention was to head to the hospital. There was no life in her. No pulse. No breath. No response in her eyes. She was just on the seat. I tried to revive her.
‘When my hands went on her chest I knew there was a lot more to it. I did my best to revive her.’
Recalling the claimed accident, he said: ‘My car was making a hell of a noise. I remember looking through my rear window. I saw a little girl with dark hair. I then felt the car rise up and down.’
He added: ‘She had gone a funny colour. She was only a little thing. I remember it being 5pm. I don’t know what I was doing.’

His accounts were repeatedly challenged by prosecuting counsel Miss Evans.
‘We do not accept that story,’ she said. ‘We say it flies in the face  of common sense, let alone  the evidence.’
The Crown maintains Bridger abducted April as she played in the street outside her home then murdered her and disposed of the body. Despite the biggest missing person hunt in police history, she has never been found.
The prosecution claimed that as hundreds scoured streets and countryside in the desperate hope of finding April safe and well, Bridger was cleaning her blood from his house and trying to remove  DNA evidence.
Later he shed tears over the ‘terrible news’ of her disappearance and helped volunteers to look for her.


This photograph of Mark Bridger posing with a gun was shown to the jury.
The picture, from his  Facebook profile, shows him dressed in a red top with the sleeves rolled up, revealing a tattoo on his left arm.
Bridger can be seen squinting as he aims the weapon.

The court heard how he logged on to Facebook in the hours before April was kidnapped and sent messages to female friends asking to meet them for ‘no strings’ encounters.
He also used the site to browse images of young girls from his area, which he saved on to his computer.
But it was all a pretence, Miss Evans suggested, adding: ‘Lies and tears come easily to Mark Bridger.’
Miss Evans showed the jury pictures of Bridger’s car. She said: ‘There is no evidence of a collision, no evidence of blood, torn fabric, or indication April Jones had been hit or run over.’

Police traced him through a description of his distinctive vehicle. One of April’s young friends said she saw her getting into his left-hand-drive Land Rover Discovery.
The court heard that three  witnesses saw Bridger carrying a black bin bag in a field near  his home the morning after  April’s disappearance.
Miss Evans turned to the jury and said: ‘We ask you, what was Mark Bridger doing at that location? What was in that black bin bag?’
The court heard that the land around that area was excavated but no trace of April was found.
Bridger later claimed he was in the field because he had to stop to ‘go for a wee’. But Miss Evans said Bridger made up this story because he ‘needed to explain away a potentially suspicious sighting’. 
The court heard a statement which Bridger made to police after his arrest, in which he tried to give an ‘excuse’ if they were to find April’s DNA on his penis.
Miss Evans said Bridger told officers that ‘it might be there because he had been for a wee while carrying her’.
She said: ‘This is a man, we say, who is forensically aware. He knew how important it was from his point of view to try and get rid of any forensic scientific evidence linking him to April.’
Bridger denies charges of murder, abduction and perverting the course of justice.
The trial will continue today when the jury visits Machynlleth.

Schoolgirls aged 8 and 10 'were asked to sleepover by suspect'


Case: Mark Bridger claims he did take away April Jones but cannot remember what happened next
'It was an accident, I crushed her with my car, I do not know where she is,' Mark Bridger said.
'As I was going to drive away two girls on a bike came across me. I got out and I saw one girl lying under my car. I don’t know where she is, I put her in my car that is left hand drive and put her on the front seat.
'I have been looking for her all night and today on foot because my car is in the garage. I did not abduct her, I did my best to revive her. I panicked.
'The more I drove through the night the more I got p*****. My son and daughter play at their house. I did not even know until this morning who it was until I saw TV.
'I just wish I knew what I had done with her, where I put her. I need to say sorry to her family. I can’t believe I did not just call an ambulance or the police.
'My intention was to head to the hospital. There was no life in her, no pulse, no breathing, no response in her as I tried to revive her using mouth to mouth and nose.
'When my hand went on her chest I knew there was more to it. I did my best to revive her. I do not remember having her when I went back.
'I looked in all he the rooms in my house. I would not have dumped her she was a human being, I would not have done that.
'I really don’t know where she is and I just want to know what I have done.
'I remember looking through my rear window, I saw a little girl with dark hair. I felt the car rise up and down. When I looked there was a little dark girl under the car. She had gone a funny colour, she was only a little thing.
'I remember being by the clock. I went numb. I do not know what I was doing.'
It has also emerged today Bridger had allegedly approached two young children in the street and invited one girl, ten, to his house for a 'sleepover' just two hours before he abducted April Jones.
Miss Evans told the jury Bridger had driven into town with his computer to attend a parents' evening with his daughter’s teacher.
He was then seen talking to a 14-year-old girl and her sister at the school before leaving and approaching two local girls, aged eight and ten, who were riding on bikes. 
'He wound the window down and there was a discussion during which the defendant invited one of the girls to a sleepover with his daughter,' Miss Evans told the jury.
'She declined and he drove off.'
The jury was also shown the last images of April, in which she is seen running and skipping in the corridors of the local leisure centre, where she had a swimming lesson.
Wearing a white T-shirt and black trousers, she races ahead of her older half-sister and the seven-year-old friend who would later witness her abduction.
The video was taken after she had spent the day at school. Her parents Coral and Paul, who watched on from the public gallery, were at a parents’ evening at the local primary school, which Bridger was also due to attend.
‘That of course is that imagery we have of April,’ said Miss Elwen Evans QC.
April could also be seen on the CCTV from the leisure centre being swung playfully by her older half-sister before they left for home.
On the second day of opening the case for the prosecution, Elwen Evans QC took the jury through images of young girls contained in folders on Bridger's laptop.
The folders, given names including X0 and X5, contained photographs of local young girls which he downloaded from Facebook, as well as some obscene content.
On the afternoon before April disappeared, the defendant viewed a pornographic cartoon of a young girl gagged and restrained as she was being raped, Miss Evans said.
She also showed the jury a number of internet searches the prosecution says were conducted on Bridger's laptop.
They included 'British girl murdered in France', 'ten year old girls naked', and 'pictures of ten year old girls'.

Internet 'research' on serial killers and child murders

Bridger had researched serial killer Ted Bundy on the FBI’s most wanted website, the court heard.
‘I never understood it, the relation he had with killing girls, having sex with corpses and the like.’
He had also read about the James Bulger murder and was ‘volunteering’ information he knew about other murdered children, including Caroline Dickinson, Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman.
He denied sexually assaulting April and said he had ‘not tasted blood’ and not seen blood on his hands.
‘I don’t believe I felt any liquid blood from April,’ he said.
Before being arrested on suspicion of murder, he did, however, tell officers: 'I can promise you she's not alive.'
He said it was a 'pure stupid accident', that he was an alcoholic and had been drinking Vodka while driving.

Smell of cleaning at Bridger's home 'noted by police'

The police said that when police went into Bridger's home, half an hour before he was arrested, they did so searching for April.
'When they went in there they stated that the house was uncomfortably hot, that there was a strong smell of detergent, and a smell of cleaning products, air freshener and washed clothes,' Miss Evans said.
She said 'police registered these findings' but did not realise their significance at that time.

Miss Evans showed the jury pictures showing forensic analysis of Bridger's clothing, car and home.
Pointing to the car photographs, she said: 'There is no evidence of a road collision, no evidence of blood here, torn fabric, or indication April Jones had been hit or run over.
'Nothing on the body work, the side, the wheels to suggest impact with a body or a bicycle.'
She added: 'Evidence points to April not coming to any harm in Bryn y Gog or in the car.'
Inside Bridger's house, however, were found blood stains and fragments of bone, Miss Evans added.
Showing photographs of the living room, the barrister told the jury blood stains with a 'one in a billion' match to April's DNA profile were found near the wood burning stove, on the carpet and on the sofa.
April’s blood was found in his living room, hallway, the bathroom door, washing machine door and the shower curtain, the court heard. The DNA match to April was one billion to one.
Witnesses saw Bridger parking on the Bryn y Gog estate at about 7.15pm, minutes before she was taken. 
Five minutes later his Land Rover was spotted on CCTV driving past a petrol station in the direction of his home.
Witnesses later saw Bridger’s vehicle being reversed into the drive of his house, named Mount Pleasant. 
At about 11pm, he then received a text message from a friend, which read: ‘Goodnight hun, hope you’re OK. Sweet dreams.’
At just before midnight, he responded: ‘Goodnight. Yes, benefits is sorted. I hope.’

Despite a huge search by police and public, her body has never been found. 
Yesterday the jury at Mold Crown Court was shown a series of images recovered from the former lifeguard’s computer, including those of Cambridgeshire ten-year-olds Holly and Jessica, murdered by paedophile school caretaker Ian Huntley in 2002. 
Also shown were photographs of other child murder victims and images he had collected of local young girls, among them files specifically dedicated to April’s half-sisters, aged 13 and 16. 
The jury heard that pictures of April, who had cerebral palsy, were accessed just eight days before she was abducted.
In addition, there was an animation which was watched hours before April went missing. It portrayed the rape of a ‘physically restrained and clearly distressed young girl’, prosecuting counsel Miss Elwen Evans QC told the jury.
April's best friend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, saw her walk over to where Bridger was standing by his vehicle, Miss Evans said. ‘It looked as if he was waiting for someone. She saw April go over to the defendant and start talking. She saw April get into the car.' 
The murder trial is expected to last seven week and was adjourned until tomorrow.

No comments: