Monday, April 8, 2013

Outdated - Luka Magnotta

I was so excited to spend my weekend wisely that I've actually missed in keeping myself updated on Luka. Dang!
Ok so here are some of the news that I managed to find on the net


Luka Magnotta was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, psychiatrist’s letter reveals

By:  GTA, Published on Wed Apr 03 2013

Luka Rocco Magnotta  is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic with a history of not following his doctor’s orders, a newly released court document shows.
A 2005 letter from Magnotta’s psychiatrist, Thuraisamy Sooriabalan, says Magnotta was prone to paranoia, auditory hallucinations and fear of the unknown when he didn’t take his medication and make regular visits to the outpatient department at Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital in Scarborough.
Magnotta, 30, is accused of killing and dismembering 33-year-old Montreal student Jun Lin.
He’s having a preliminary hearing in Montreal to determine whether there’s enough evidence to proceed with his case.
The letter offers some of Magnotta’s mental health history and is part of public court documents relating to his 2005 conviction for fraud. At the time, Magnotta went by his birth name, Eric Clinton Newman.
The document was released Wednesday, after Judge Fergus O’Donnell quashed an attempt from Magnotta’s lawyer, Luc Leclair, to keep the public document private.
Magnotta has been suffering from paranoid schizophrenia since at least 2000, his doctor wrote. He’s been hospitalized because of it and had two stays at Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital in 2003.
In 2005, Magnotta was prescribed five different medications, including two antipsychotic drugs, Seroquel and Risperdal, to treat his disorder. He was also prescribed an anti-anxiety medication, a night sedative and a drug to counteract unwanted side-effects from his antipsychotic medication.
His treatment was also supposed to include visits to the outpatient department “for supportive psychotherapy and health education.”
Sooriabalan wrote that Magnotta’s prognosis was fair, so long as he took his antipsychotic medication and kept his medical appointments. But he didn’t always do that.
“Unfortunately, Mr. Newman is not very regular in attending the outpatient department and as a result he misses his medications,” Sooriabalan wrote.
Magnotta visited Sooriabalan on Feb. 25, 2005, and was instructed to return to see the doctor a month later “for continuation of medication and for reassessment of his mental state.”
He didn’t keep the appointment and still hadn’t gone to see his doctor by May 30, 2005, when the doctor wrote the letter. By then, Sooriabalan had been treating Magnotta for five years.
When he appeared in court in 2005, Judge Lauren Marshall warned Magnotta that he needed to take his medication as instructed or his life would “get messed up.”
With files from The Canadian Press

Judge to deliberate whether Luka Magnotta sex-worker survey interview remains private

Sidhartha Banerjee, Canadian Press | 13/04/04 2:50 PM ET

MONTREAL — A Quebec judge says she may look at the contents of a sealed interview with Luka Rocco Magnotta before deciding whether the Crown can have access to it.
Magnotta, who is facing a first-degree murder charge in the slaying of Chinese student Jun Lin last year, granted the interview as part of a 2007 study on sex-trade workers and their clients.
Authorities want a copy of the interview for evidence they’re still gathering against Magnotta.
A lawyer for the University of Ottawa academics who conducted the interview argues the material is covered by privilege as Magnotta was guaranteed confidentiality when he agreed to participate.
Superior Court Justice Sophie Bourque said today she’ll rule on the matter at a later date.
She says she is not ruling out looking at the contents of the interview and that she must balance the issue of privilege versus public interest.
Police became aware of the existence of the interview when a research assistant contacted them after seeing a news item about Magnotta’s arrest last year.
The Crown says it doesn’t know what’s in the interview, but wants the judge to have a look before deciding to quash a Montreal police warrant and giving the material back to the researchers.
The lawyer for the academics argued it’s unlikely the material would have much impact on a case involving charges for crimes allegedly committed five years after the interview.
He also urged Bourque to look at the material only if it is absolutely necessary.
A lawyer for Magnotta’s defence team supported the motion filed by the researchers to keep the interview confidential, but made it clear they will ask for a copy of it for themselves.
Magnotta’s preliminary hearing, which is to determine whether he’ll have to stand trial on the murder charge, resumes Monday.
Evidence presented at the hearing is subject to a publication ban.
Magnotta has pleaded not guilty to five charges and opted for a jury trial.


No comments: